Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Craft Supplies

Over social media, I've had quite a few people ask, "How can I help?" I'm trying to keep a running list, here on Wishful Wednesdays. But I'll be a little more specific, the closer we get to our 2nd Annual Memorial Love For Blue 5K Run/Walk.

Today, I'm going to talk a little bit, about craft supplies. A large bulk, of our fundraising, comes from crafts. Items that my Mom and I make. And then sell at local Craft Fairs, Farmers' Markets, and on our Etsy Shop.

We usually, just eat up the costs. Of supplies. And donate our time. All of our blue items, and everything in our Etsy Shop, is donated. By the two of us. We buy the supplies, make the items, and sell them. Taking 100% of the money, and putting it back into our foundation.

I know, not everyone is interested in buying blankets, toys, and sweaters from us. But there are lots of people that would like to support us. And this is one of the most obvious ways, I can think of. Helping us with craft supplies.


Obviously, we use a lot of yarn. A LOT! Blankets use anywhere from 2 skeins of baby yarn, to 10 skeins of regular yarn. Dolls can take 2 or more, skeins of yarn. So yarn is a good place to start. We use mostly Red Heart. But from time to time, will use Baby Bernat, I Love This Yarn, or Caron Simply Soft.


Along with toy making, come the little things. Like safety eyes. I buy all our safety eyes, at Hobby Lobby. The manager, already knows me. Well. Because I usually buy 50 packs, at a time!


We also use a ton of buttons! For everything from sweaters, to our Lalaloopsy Dolls. All sizes and shapes. Bought everywhere from Wal-Mart, to Michael's.


Keeping with toy making, and sometimes pillow making...we go through boxes and boxes of stuffing. We buy ours at Hobby Lobby. Again, they know me well. And I ALWAYS, use a coupon. A big box, can make 3 dolls, or a handful of amigurumi toys, or a few sets of pillows.


My Mom also uses quite a bit of crochet thread. I think she uses 2 1/2 rolls, for a doily. One colored, one white, and half a green. She also uses thread for her baby dresses.


Cotton yarn is also a big expense. I make a lot of dishcloths, and potholders. Sometimes baby booties. And newborn hats.


We also sew. Making aprons, dolls, and other small notions. Fabric is always welcomed. We also make baby blankets, burp clothes, and wipe boxes.


Trimmings are also a big expense. Everything from rick rack, to ribbon, and lace. We use them for sewing, and finishing our items.


We make tutus as well. And go through a ton of elastic, and tulle. Both by the yard. And by the spool. Thank goodness, for sales at Hobby Lobby!


Along with the traditional tutus, we make some, that are stuffed. With things like bells, pom poms, and flower petals.


Oh, and my Mom uses a bunch of beads. And buckles. For her dolls. All her Native dolls, take tons of these supplies!


Lastly, flowers and headbands. I make and sell, a ton of these! Mostly buying flowers from the Dollar Tree, headbands on eBay, and also using a few essentials...like felt.

That covers a lot of what we do. Making everything from Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls, to baby dresses. If you'd like to donate something, you can always contact me on here, via e-mail (LoveForBlue2015@aol.com), or on Facebook.

I do want to say a HUGE Thank You to those of you, who have sent gift cards, to us. I have met so many, amazing people, through our blog, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and at local sales. Many people want to reach out and help. And let me tell you, at times, it's overwhelming. To know, so many people support our cause. And want to help us.

Every little bit, helps. I promise, nothing is too small. I recently got a card, from a little girl. With a $5 Dollar Tree gift card inside. It made me cry. Honestly, to know that a little girl wanted to help. It was just so heartwarming. And I want to say Thank You, to every person, that has reached out to us! ❤❤❤

No comments:

Post a Comment