Monday, February 22, 2016

Colon Cancer and Young Adults

Along this journey, there have been few things I fear. One, obviously, was my Dad having cancer. Two, was losing him. Three, was me, one day being diagnosed.

It's not the kind of thing, that I stress about daily. It's the type of thing, that I wonder about. From time to time. Like when I try and schedule a routine colonoscopy. And I'm told I'm too young. Or don't have high enough risk factors. And I think, my Dad had Stage 4 Colon Cancer. Which spread. And he died...

It's become something, that I've put on my radar. But not "worried myself to death" about. Do you know what I mean? I might read a few more articles about colon cancer. Or sometimes, think in the back of my mind, could this be a symptom? Should I be concerned?

And then, I might get literature from work. Stating that colon cancer is on the rise. Something that shouldn't be put aside. It should be on people's radars. And I think again. Should I be concerned?

I came across this article, and I realized, I'm not crazy. I need to stay on top of this. I do eat a well balanced diet. High in fresh fruits and veggies. Lots of fiber. I try to exercise. And keep my weight healthy. But that doesn't guarantee anything. My Dad had Stage 4 Colon Cancer. I need to be proactive.

If one doctor says, no to a colonoscopy, it's not only my right...but my choice to find another doctor. One that can make me feel better. I've learned, that it's also essential, to lean on our medical team. The one, that cared for my Dad. They know his history. Therefore, they'll know most of mine. And my risks. And will probably be, the only ones that really listen.


After reading this article, I know I'm not crazy. These are serious topics. It's our life, in our hands. I watched my Dad, battle this disease. I saw him before, and after, his diagnosis. I insisted for years, that he have a colonoscopy. And now realize, that without my pushing, who knows if he would have ever been diagnosed.

It's made me a stronger person. With me, more settled in my ways. I'm now insured. And hope, against all hope, that I can be tested. At least, within the year. I'm a person that monitors a lot. By nature. It's not strange that I monitor my stools. I'm a trained RD. And for much of my early career, it was my job, to measure and monitor people's stools.

So I try to make sure I'm OK. Most of the time. I try and watch what I eat. How tired I get. What goes in, and out, of my body. I also would like to know, if I had cancer. No matter what my age is. Now, in 10 years, or in 30 years. It's my right.

Would I seek treatment? That's a loaded question for me. One that would depend on my age. If I had children. What was at risk? How early had they caught it? Would I have a fighting chance? If not, I couldn't imagine, going through what my Dad went through. Putting my body through all of that, to know where I was headed. But that's also my right.

As shocking as this all seems, we're just young adults. And we have rights. We have the right, to be checked. And told the honest truth. We have the right, to make decisions, about our future. And if we don't fight for ourselves, who will? Don't forget that. If nothing else, educate yourself. Who knows, when you'll need the information. ❤❤❤

No comments:

Post a Comment