Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Stay In Touch

I talked about this yesterday. Stay in touch, with your medical team. It's probably my greatest tip. Whether you or your loved one, is no longer in need of treatment. It becomes vital.

To be honest, they are the ones I turned to most, in the days following my Dad's death. They pointed me in the direction of survivors' groups. And other cancer resources. As I fight to get my own colonoscopy, they are standing behind me.

We had an incredible oncologist! He fought so much, for my Dad's treatment. And I will be forever be grateful, to him. He made many personal calls, to the insurance company, hospital, and other agencies. Whenever we needed something, he was there to fight for us.


I think about this a lot. Now. In the aftermath. I've called Dr. T, a few times. He's written referrals for me. And in the end, told me to call him, as soon as I got insurance. He's on my side. And it feels pretty awesome! I'm not in this game, alone. I can lean on him. And depend on this doctor, that on first meeting...I thought was a little crazy.

It doesn't matter, that my Dad is no longer being treated. His doctors, are still supporting us. Making sure, that we are OK. That we, are getting, what we need. I've had a few calls, from various, hospital staff. Even 11 months later. To make sure we are OK.

Maybe we were the lucky ones. The ones that had a good hospital. With good staff. That cared, deeply about us. I also hope, that most Oncologists, are like this. That they take care of their "people." In ways that none of us, would ever see coming. Stay in touch. You may need them again. ❤❤❤

No comments:

Post a Comment