Thursday, February 4, 2016

Thankful for Pets

It's actually quite funny. In my whole life, of 32 years...I've had 4 dogs. In total, I don't think we ever had dogs, for more than 3 years of my life. Ever! My first dog, ran away, months after we got it. My second dog, was stolen, just about 6 months, after we got him. And our third dog, was probably only with us, for a few months. It was the last dog. Ironically, he had cancer. And we had him, for a couple of years.
 
But our family, was not a "Dog Family." I LOVED them! But I guess we were just too busy. And dogs were not, high on our list. Well, two weeks to the day, after my Dad's passing...we rescued a dog. From my cousins.
 

This is Sweetheart. She is a feisty, little cocker spaniel. Hilarious to boot! But when we first got her, she was so scared. Didn't want to come out of her cage. By the end of that first weekend, we were inseparable! She was my buddy.

And over the next few months, she became my pal. The one girl, that could make me smile, when my heart was completely crushed! She brought life, back to me. In ways I could never have expected. And I could see, how she was helping my Mom and I heal.

Sweetheart, is nearly 2 years old now. We've gone camping, take her out for walks, and obviously we spoil her to pieces. But for me, she's been my pal. The girl that licks away my tears on the tough days. And makes me laugh, on the good days. I honestly don't know, what I would have done, without her. God has a way, of blessing us so.


As I started my plan, to move forward. I realized, my Mom needed Sweetheart. So did I. But she really did. How could I take her? And I started my search, for a puppy. Looking everywhere you could think. But remember, I told you how Sweetheart is a cocker spaniel. They don't get along too well, with other dogs.

So after taking my crazy dog out, and meeting dozens of other dogs, I realized I needed a puppy. And here is how Miss Belle, came to live with us. On Thanksgiving weekend, my heart went straight, to this little bundle of fur.

She really is the light of my day. And somehow, these two, have found a way to get along. But honestly, these dogs, have helped us. In many more ways, than I could have ever imagined. These sweet dogs, have helped our broken hearts.

It's the gentle way, that they just know, when our day isn't going well. How as quickly as my tears can fall, they can snuggle up to me. Licking them away. Trying to make me feel better. I'm very grateful to God, for these bundles of fur.

I know that life isn't always easy. And we all experience heartbreak. We all experience loss. And go through grief. But it really has been, life changing, having these two dogs. When I feel like I'm going nuts, they ground me. They remind me, that life moves forward. And that for every heartache, there is someone waiting to love you. ❤❤❤

No comments:

Post a Comment