Monday, March 21, 2016

Treating the Elderly

Fighting and treating colon cancer, any cancer really, is expensive. For us, like everyone else, there was a financial toll. My Dad had amazing insurance. But it didn't mean, that we were worry free. Medications, treatments, doctors' appointments, tests, and hospitalizations...they add up quickly! But when you are trying to save someone's life, those costs don't matter. You'd probably walk to the end of the earth, and back. I know I would!

When I came across this article last week, it didn't surprise me. When we first began, the battle, our oncologist warned us. About the costs, the side effects, and my Dad's projected life expectancy. Actually, in so many words, he encouraged us to go home, and enjoy my Dad...and his life, while we still could.

You see, my Dad was 81 years old. In relatively poor health. And all these treatments, might give my Dad, an additional year. MIGHT! My Dad had been diagnosed with Stage 4 Colon Cancer. He also had severe anemia, due to the cancer. He had diabetes, and epilepsy. And the cancer had spread into his liver. There was only one doctor, that would even consider surgery on his liver. My Dad was high risk. And his lifelong battle, with epilepsy, didn't help.

In fact, for his surgery, to remove most of his intestines and to place his stoma...we hit a road block. No anesthesiologists, wanted to treat him. Our surgeon had to practically jump through hoops, that were on fire. To get someone, to join him in the operating room. Because my Dad had, had a serious of seizures. After a million tests and scans...and some medical history, the doctors felt like the cancer was contributing to the seizures. Because my Dad had previously been seizure free, for over 3 years. So he was cleared for surgery.

But my Dad wanted to live. And if the chemo and radiation, would give him an extra day, he'd try it too. He'd try anything. And everything. My Dad didn't have the "typical" symptoms and side effects. But you could tell, that all the treatments, were taking a toll. He struggled a lot. With energy. With pneumonia. And with seizures.

We'd end up on Palliative Care. To help keep a better eye, on my Dad's health. Our doctor would personally call up our insurance company, many times, to argue about care. He'd give my Dad the options. My Dad would ALWAYS choose, to do treatments. And our doctor, would fight to get the treatments approved.

There were also many "supportive medications," that my Dad took. To keep his quality of health, somewhat better. These medications, often times, had high costs attached to them. But my Dad was a fighter. And he was trying to live.


Looking back, I don't know if it was the best decision. But it was my Dad's decision. My Mom and I would listen to the doctors, and my Dad would make the decisions. We were his support system. I can't say, that if I were in his place, that I would have made those same decisions. But we were all educated on the issues. And supported my Dad's decisions.

From the time that we first met our oncologist, until my Dad's passing, it was around 9 months. At our initial appointment, we were told, without treatment, my Dad would have just about a year of life. With treatment, it could extend his life, by possibly 6 months to a year.

We were also told about side effects. And quality of life. And what it would take, to seek treatments. All of it, would be true. My Dad would spend much, of those 9 months, in the hospital. I can't tell you, that life would have been better, had he not received treatments. I don't know if he would have lived longer. Or if this was just God's plan, all along.

What I do know, is that Palliative Care, was our saving grace. That our doctors were very supportive, of my Dad's decisions. Even if they didn't always agree, with him. Our oncologist, really became the one person, that would fight anyone...for the treatment my Dad wanted.

With the elderly, like with all of us, they don't want to give up. They want to live. Any option that is available, they want to try. No matter the side effects. But there has to be a better way, to treat the elderly. There has to be a way, to give them a fighting chance. That not only extends their lives. But improves their quality of life. More than anything, you need to remember, it's their life. They have the right, to fight for it.

Our elderly, should be respected. And their wishes, should be honored. We shouldn't think any differently, because of their age. Medications, should be developed, to improve their lives. And the quality of their lives. We need to remember, they are a particularly weak part of our population. Susceptible to all sorts of things. And really, at the end of the day, they want to live as long as possible.

Big businesses, like insurance companies, hospitals, and pharmaceutical companies, don't think about these things. These are very important things. The things, that really determine a person's real quality of life. You are your loved ones biggest supporter. Their caregiver. And probably, the only person in their corner, really fighting for them. Think about it. Don't just think about costs. But also about their quality of life. What type of care is available. And how your loved one, will live out, their last few days. ❤❤❤

No comments:

Post a Comment