Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Always Keep A Bag Packed

In the Fall of 2014, I learned a lesson. Fast! My Dad would begin, to have a lot of complications. And we'd be, in and out of the hospital, a lot! Most of the time, without any notice. Sometimes, we'd be going somewhere, and I'd have to call an ambulance. Sometimes, I'd drive my Dad to the ER. Sometimes, we'd call from home.

But it would all happen fast. And most of the trips, were the same. Long waits in the ER. Freezing. To be admitted, to the hospital. For at least a week. Most of the time, longer. And often times, I wasn't prepared. In the beginning. As the ambulance would drive away. I'd find a big bag. Throw in a blanket, sweatshirt, my tablet, some crochet, and maybe a snack.

As our unscheduled trips, would become more regular, I'd get organized. I finally realized, I needed to be ready, for anything. And everything! First, I'd find a nice sized bag. That would only be used, for the hospital.

 
I bought a bag, similar to this one. At Wal-Mart. For about $20. It would stay packed, from September 2014-March 2016. Yes, it still sits in the closet. I know! I should unpack it.


Inside, I'd put a bag of toiletries for my Dad. And one for me. For my Dad, I'd include his mouth rinse, his extra electric shaver, lotion, chapstick, his hair brush, a couple of extra ostomy bags, and rings.

In my bag, I'd have deodorant, lotion, toothbrush, toothpaste, some body spray, soap, my moisturizer, a razor, a brush, and hair elastics. The hospital, also supplied us, with a lot. Like towels, washcloths, soap, lotion, shampoo, mouthwash, and toothbrushes. And whatever else we needed. But sometimes, it's nice, to have the things that you are used to.


I'd make sure to pack some clothes too. For both my Dad and I. I'd pack my Dad, some t-shirts, a sweatshirt, some socks, his gloves, and a hat. I'd also pack some slippers for him. I would have a change of his clothes, in our car too. I couldn't take those down, until we were getting discharged. Because he would want to put them on. And try to go home.

For myself, I'd pack slippers, lots of socks, plenty of underwear, a few pairs of PJs, a couple of comfy shirts, some sweatpants, and tennis shoes. I'd have a couple of sweatshirts too! It was always cold, in the hospital. So all of my clothes, were for comfort and warmth. I didn't care, what I wore, while we were in the hospital.

 
I ALWAYS had, at least 2 blankets in my bag. One for each of us. And 2 pillows, in our car. The ER, was known, for being ice cold. And never having pillows. In the oncology ward, I didn't worry much about this. But my Dad, would often times, request his blankets from home. We'd bring those too.


I crochet. A lot! So I ALWAYS made sure, I had some sort of project, in my bag. Something, that I could pick up, and put down. Something that didn't take too much thought. Most of the time it was a small blanket. Or just a small project in general. But I'd have some yarn, and a crochet hook.


I'd also have a notebook, some pens, and usually a journal. I needed to be able to write things down. So this became essential for me!


I also packed a couple of new magazines. And at least one book. My Bible was in there too. The hospital we were at, had volunteers, that would deliver reading material to you. But it was nice, to have something, I had previously picked out. Something I was looking forward to reading. Many times, in the ER, my Dad was asleep. Usually due to a seizure. Or something else. And the room would be dark, and quiet. So I'd include a book light too. I was also lucky, to get a daily newspaper, from the hospital. They'd deliver it, with breakfast. For me, reading material was a must!

 
I also would include a couple of DVDs. In the oncology unit, they had DVD players, in every room. Many of these patients, spend a lengthy time, in the hospital. And my Dad liked to watch movies. So when I'd go to Wal-Mart, I'd always check out the $5 bin. And stick a couple in our bag. During our stay, in December 2014-January 2015, DVDs were a fun thing for us. My Dad, my Mom, and I, would spend our evenings, watching a new movie together.

 
I was lucky enough, to have 2 tablets, at the time. And I ALWAYS had one in my bag. Waiting for me. This was another way, I'd spend sleepless nights. Catching up on my favorite blogs, writing e-mails, blogging, updating family and friends on Facebook, and just hanging out online.
 
During most of our stays at the hospital, when my Dad was feeling better, we'd watch Youtube videos. Together. Laughing. Reminiscing about WWE wrestling. My Dad's favorite! I'd show him our blog. Later when we'd begun the Love for Blue Foundation, I'd show him this blog. Our T-shirt sales. My Etsy shop. It was nice to have.
 
Again, the hospital had a computer, for the oncology patients to use. In the Family Room. But it was nice, to get to just hangout, in our room. And watch silly videos.
 

 
 I also packed a variety of chargers. For our cell phones, tablet, my Dad's electric shaver, my laptop, our radio. Things I thought we'd need.

 
And I ALWAYS had snacks! Not that we really needed them. The staff at our hospital was AMAZING! And very quickly, they got to know, I was the one that stayed. All the time. And they would all, bring me snacks. The kitchen, would send me something. The different staff members, would bring me a bag of chips, a candy bar, some fruit. But it was nice to have some snacks, that I liked too.
 
These items, were ALWAYS in my bag! And it was, in an easy place, to get to. Which is important. it was packed, and ready to go. When we would get home, I'd refill my bag, and do laundry. This was also important. Many times, we were only home, for a week. My bag, always had to be ready to go!
 
This isn't everything, we'd take with us. Like I said, most of our hospital stays, were 7-10 days long. During the holidays, we were there, for over a month! After my Dad would be admitted, which usually happened in the afternoon, my Mom would get off of work. We'd probably been there since 7AM. My Mom would stay with my Dad, and I'd run home.
 
There, I'd quickly shower, and pick up, whatever else we needed. Usually, my Dad's radio, my laptop, a Saint that my Dad liked to have around, more blankets, little decorations for his room. We tried to make it a positive experience. But being prepared, was the key to everything. It made chaotic times, more manageable. Less stressful. And me, more available, to take care of my Dad. And his needs. ❤❤❤

No comments:

Post a Comment