Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Stay Organized

I get this question a lot, "How did you do it all?" I got organized. And it really was, one of the things, that helped my sanity most. First and foremost, you need to get organized. As tough as it seems, it's the beginning and end, to it all. Yes, there will be bumps in the road. And some weeks, will seem tougher than others. But try and stay organized.


The first thing I did, was get a planner. It was exclusively used, for my Dad, his appointments, medications, and hospital stays. I wrote every appointment in there. Whether it was a doctor's appointment, Homecare visit, PT, OT, or a treatment. It all went in my calendar. I'd  write it down. And then with a highlighter, I'd color in the time we were supposed to be there.

I also tried to color code everything. So I'd know, if we had to be somewhere. Or if we were having a visit from our Homecare Team. I'd write doctor's appointments, in one color. Chemo treatments in another. Homecare visits, in another. Then I'd use different colors of highlighters.

Yes, at first it was difficult. Later, after I had a system, it got easier. When I'd open the planner, I knew if we had an eye appointment, had to have blood drawn, or if we were having an evaluation by PT. It was so helpful!

Because let's face it, during cancer, there are so many appointments! In one day, we could have a visit from our Homecare nurse, from PT, an appointment at the Cancer Center, a test, and an appointment with our neurologist. Yes, all in one day! And I needed to know, when and where we had to be.

Other things I'd use our planner for, were medications. As in, when we needed refills. At least a month before we needed a written refill, I'd mark it in red. So I could call our doctor. Or let them know, at our appointment. A week before we were out of pills, I'd call the pharmacy. I had a very difficult time, getting my Dad's epilepsy medication. So I ALWAYS had to start early. But I would try and time things together. So I didn't have to make too many trips to the pharmacy.

Along these same lines, I'd put our supplies in here. It was so important to know, how much we had. And when our deliveries would come. There were a few times, I had to go to the hospital, and ask for some ostomy bags. Or I'd ask our Homecare nurse, for some supplies, if we were really low.

But I made sure, to estimate how much we had. And when we would be without. Our Homecare nurse, would do all our ordering. We were very lucky! And I'd wait for the supplies, to show up at our home. With hydration supplies, it was pretty quick. But I always had to check, to make sure, they delivered everything we needed. Did we get enough supplies? With our ostomy supplies, it was all about timing. I needed to let Robin know, with enough time.

If my Dad started to have certain symptoms, or maybe a seizure, I'd also write it down. It was important information. If there was something "new," going on with his stoma, I'd write it down. Then take a picture, with my cell phone.

I made sure to take my planner, to the hospital as well. I'd write every single thing down! How long we were in the ER. Where we were located. What doctors, nurses, and techs came to help. It was very important. Especially in the early days.

Things like, when we changed my Dad's ostomy bag, were also documented. His output. If there was a difference in color, texture, or how much was produced. I would make notes about how he was feeling, eating, and walking. Later when he was given pain meds, through a patch, I'd write down when I changed them. And any symptoms he was having. Anything, and everything, that seemed important...was written down.

I also made sure to write down all his doctor's names and phone numbers. Any facilities we used...like the hospital, treatment centers, and rehab. I also included a list of his medications. And the doses. The last thing that I had, was a list of his medical procedures. Surgeries, diagnosis, and any other procedures...that seemed important.


Along with my planner, our pillbox, was also very important. I kept all of my Dad's pills in there. Every Sunday night, after he went to bed, I'd count out pills. I'd count them, 3 times. And fill the pillbox, for the week. I was the one person, that knew when my Dad took his pills, which ones he took, and when the anti-nausea pills were needed.

Yes, I had everything organized. But it didn't mean it was flawless. There was a time, when some of my older siblings, were taking my Dad to breakfast, and they gave him all the pills for that day. So it's important to note, this is not a foolproof tip. Just a way, to stay organized.

Whoever is taking care of the person, needs to know what pills are taken...and at what time. My Dad took pills for epilepsy. And they needed to be taken at a certain time. Things like sleeping pills, should be obvious. To be taken at night. But not everyone knows, what all those pills are for. Be sure, to make this, something that helps you.

But get to know, all the pills. What they look like. What the shape and color are like. This is also an important tip, when you pick up your medication. I would ALWAYS ask the pharmacist, to open the bottles. If the pills were a different color, or shape, we'd have a talk. This often happened with my Dad's epilepsy medications. And from time to time, with his iron pills.


And organize your supplies. I ended up, buying 2 midsized storage containers. Clear ones. That I could stick in the closet. So I could see our supplies. And every single time, we got a shipment, I'd check them. Make sure everything on the list, was in the box. Then I'd pull out our old supplies, and put the new stuff, on the bottom of the container.

We got hydration supplies, delivered twice a month. And it was important to keep all of that dry, clean, and organized. I kept that supplies, in one box. Making sure, to have enough room, for the bags of saline. I didn't want to bust a bag. And also making sure, that the older product, got used first.

Our other box, was full of ostomy supplies. Bags, rings, powder, scissors, cream, soap, extra containers. I kept a very close eye, on this box. These were the supplies, we had the most difficult time, keeping up with. The delivery, wasn't the best. And insurance, limited the amount you got. So I had to make sure, we always had enough.

Getting and staying organized, is essential. During a chaotic time, like battling cancer. You have enough to worry about. And probably, more than enough, on your plate. So you need to make sure, you have everything organized.

I'm sure, no one thought I was organized. If they'd come to our home, they would look at you, like you were crazy. If you told them, I was organized. But these things, were always organized! Along with the supplies my Dad needed, for PT. Weights, chairs, and bands. And the supplies he needed, to get around. Bars in the bathroom, a bathmat, in the bathtub, his 2 wheeled walker, his 4 wheeled walker, and his wheelchair. And of course, his bag.

It made life, a lot easier. I wasn't going to miss an appointment. I knew when our Homecare team, would be visiting. I wouldn't suddenly, run out of medications. It took a lot of pressure off of. And left me more available, to take care of my Dad. That's how I managed to do so much. Being extra organized, with these details. ❤❤❤

No comments:

Post a Comment