Saturday, March 19, 2016

Our Gentle Doctor

My Dad received all of his care, from one hospital. Different locations. Many doctors. More nurses, than I can sit and talk about. But one hospital. It was the best decision, we could have ever made.

Not only did it make it easier for us. It kept all of my Dad's doctors, on the same page. Everyone had access, to everything, all the time. If we were in the hospital, our doctors were very easy, to get in touch with. All our care, came from the same place. Including, our Homecare.

Along the way, you meet different people. In the Presbyterian organization, they work so well, as a team. Working together, for the patient. Mapping out, how your care will look. Taking every person's opinion, into consideration. And it works really well.

In the Fall of 2014, my Dad was scheduled to potentially have his stoma reversed. Chemo, was making him a little too weak, for the doctors liking. So there was a break, that was taken, halfway through his scheduled 16 treatments.

During this time, he'd receive radiation. And we heard all sorts of horror stories. But my Dad was optimistic. As always. He was ready, to attack this beast, growing inside him. We had an appointment, with the radiation team. And that is where we'd meet Dr. Garg.


An amazingly kind soul. His staff was truly, some of the kindest, that I've ever met! They made us feel so comfortable. And if you've ever had to have radiation, you know the initial appointment, can be rather lengthy.

We went in. The nurses were so kind, and helpful. Explaining everything in great detail. Allowing me, to help as much as possible. They knew, my Dad was most comfortable, when I was with him. After I'd help them, to get him settled in, another nurse, would walk me back to a conference room. Where I could wait. In comfort. With something to drink, and snack on.

I'd meet Dr. Garg first. While my Dad was being "marked" for his treatments. He'd explain to me, what was going to happen. What our schedule would look like. What I could expect. What I should look for, in terms of side effects. And assured me, he'd be right by our sides, the entire time.

Then he'd meet with my Dad and I. And explain everything, in great detail. Making sure, my Dad understood, everything he was saying. Talking to him, and reassuring him. He sat right in front of my Dad, held his hands, and assured him it was going to be OK.


Radiation, was very beneficial to my Dad. He didn't have any side effects. Nothing that they'd warned us about. Or anything we'd heard, from other patients. Dr. Garg, kept his word. And would be by our sides, the entire time. I don't think, there was ever a treatment, where he didn't come and talk to me. To let me know, how things were going.

My Dad was rather weak. By Fall 2014, he'd been through so much. And to go to his doctors' appointments, we'd take his wheelchair. I'd help him, to undress, and put on his hospital gown, before every treatment. The nurses would bring my Dad coffee. And once they'd taken him back, for his treatment, they'd come make sure I was OK.

It really made the entire experience, a positive one. But Dr. Garg, would be the one, that would bring us comfort. He'd talk us through, our entire treatment schedule. He'd answer all of our questions. He'd give me updates. Without me, having to track him down. He would bring me, the information, I'd need to know.

At my Dad's last appointment, he'd have a seizure. The staff was amazing! Dr. Garg, was right there, by our sides. Assuring me, that my Dad was OK. Which I knew. He'd had seizures, all my life. But Dr. Garg, wouldn't leave our side. He'd want to call an ambulance. So we could transport my Dad, from the Radiation Center, to the main hospital. I'd assure him, it would be best, if I'd take my Dad. He would be very disoriented, from the seizure. And would need me, by his side, when he started to "wake up" from the fog.

Dr. Garg, and 2 of his nurses, helped me get my Dad into our van. They'd secure him. And they'd get my cell phone number. Sure enough, they'd call ahead to the hospital for me. And they'd check in, with me, multiple times that afternoon. I'd receive a call from Dr. Garg, that evening, making sure we were OK. He knew, what he was reading from the charts. But he wanted to make sure we were OK. That we were receiving the care, that we should.

It was amazing! Months later, in February 2015, Dr. Garg would be the oncologist working at the hospital. On the weekend of my Dad's birthday. He would do everything he could, to make sure my Dad was comfortable. That we had everything we needed. And after talking to him, about a Surprise Birthday party, I had planned...he assured me, my Dad would be able to attend.

Dr. Garg, was just one of those doctors, that made you feel comfortable. He explained every single detail, to you. And always asked, if we had questions. When he could, he'd make things easier for us. Trying to provide our family, with everything we needed. At the very moment, we needed it.

And the amount of care, respect, and tenderness...that he showed my Dad. It is the thing, I will never forget. We were very blessed, with our medical team. And it's doctors, like Dr. Garg, that made the experience a little easier. We knew, we had a team behind us. And that no matter what, they were fighting for my Dad. To extend his life. To provide comfort. And to make sure, we were all OK.

I'm very grateful to Dr. Garg. And the care he provided. Not just the medical care. But the personal care, he gave my Dad. Even on my Dad's roughest days, he was an amazing doctor. Knowing, that it was the pain, and not my Dad...that was taking over. Thank You Dr. Garg! From the bottom of my heart. My family, appreciates everything you did for my Dad! ❤❤❤

No comments:

Post a Comment