Sunday, March 27, 2016

Celebrate

Happy Easter everyone! I know, it can be tough, to celebrate holidays, birthdays, and anniversaries. Believe me. Whether you are grieving, or still walking that tough journey. Especially, if you are in the hospital. We had to, many times. And honestly, it's better to celebrate, than to pretend, it's not happening.


I say this, from experience. The first time my Dad was hospitalized, in December 2010, we tried to pretend...it wasn't Christmas. My Dad was hospitalized 2 days, before Christmas. We asked people, to not tell him, about the holiday. It would only upset him. Unfortunately, on Christmas morning, our doctor came into the room. All happy. And singing Christmas carols.

We even got a Christmas tree. From the hospital. Yes, my Dad was upset. Angry really, that he was in the hospital for Christmas. And then New Year's. But it was more, he was upset for my Mom and I. Because he wanted us to have a good holiday.

We honestly didn't care. As long, as my Dad was OK. And it was easier, once he knew, to explain the HUGE platters of food and cookies...that our friends and family were bringing us. So celebrate. Don't feel bad about it. Celebrate the best way you can. And never apologize for it!



I also say this, because you want to make memories. Good memories. With your loved ones. You're not sure, how many of these special days, you are going to get. So make the most of them. Enjoy your special days!

When my Dad was hospitalized again, right before Christmas 2014, I packed up some Christmas decorations. And a little string of lights. We decorated my Dad's hospital room. And when he was moved to the oncology unit, we took our decorations.

Our family happened to ring in 2015, in the hospital. And I again, went all out. Our nurses, also helped me. But I went and bought silly hats, glasses, and decorations. We watched movies. And had snacks. It was about making memories.

And I'll never regret that. It was the ONLY time, my parents and I, had stayed up together. For a New Year. And we thoroughly, enjoyed ourselves. We made lots of memories. Took lots of pictures. And really, had the best time!

We also celebrated my Dad's birthday, in the hospital. And I really do mean, CELEBRATED! On his birthday, I decorated our hospital room. The staff sang to him. A group of nurses, then a group from the oncology unit, and finally the kitchen staff. They made him a fun cake, and milkshake.

And days later, we had a "Surprise Birthday" party, in the waiting room. Something, I'll never regret! EVER! Because we celebrated my Dad. And his birthday. It was his last on earth. And had we not done it at the hospital, we would have never done it again. We would have missed out on his smile. And all those memories!


Happy Easter! I hope, in some small way, you are able to celebrate. Pick up a pack of Peeps, and take them to your loved one. If you are in the hospital, pick up a piece of pie. And share it. If you are on the "other side," like us...consider dropping off a plate of goodies. Just go to your local hospital. If you have "traveled the road," you know all about that waiting room...or family room. Leave a little plate of goodies. Something you might have enjoyed, when you were there. We took some cupcakes, candy, and cookies.

But don't forget to celebrate! And I don't just mean today. Celebrate the birthdays, the anniversaries, and the holidays. Don't let the cancer, steal that from you. It takes enough. Celebrate. And make memories. You will cherish them, for years to come! ❤❤❤

No comments:

Post a Comment