Monday, March 7, 2016

Benefits of Aspirin

Aspirin is used, in many ways, to prevent disease. In fact, both of my parents, have taken a daily dose. It's something that most people, don't really think of.

My Mom has taken aspirin, for a few years now. A recommendation, from her doctor. My Dad, took aspirin, in his last year or so, of life. It had to do with other medications, that he was taking. It didn't add much, to the daily medications, that he was already taking. And the cost was minimal.


I say this, because the benefits are great. Outstanding really! I'd been hearing about a connection, between aspirin and gastrointestinal cancers, for over a year now. From a colleague. In fact, it was recommended to me, to begin the daily low-dose, aspirin regimen.

After reading this article. And reading through the original article, from the JAMA, I'm convinced.  A 19% drop, in colorectal cancer. And a 15% drop in gastrointestinal cancers. That is amazing! It gives someone like me, some hope. I'm a high risk individual. But most insurance companies, and doctors, don't believe I should be screened for...another 12+ years.

Aspirin, will never take the place of a colonoscopy. But there is significant research, and evidence, that it helps. And if it helps, why not try it? Especially, if you are someone with a family history, of colon cancer.

Just remember, always talk it over with your doctor first. There are also risks, involved with taking aspirin. And your total health, should be considered. But for me, and I'm assuming many individuals, the benefits, outweigh the risks. I know, what I'll be adding to my morning routine. ❤❤❤

No comments:

Post a Comment