Monday, April 11, 2016

Vegetarians and Colon Cancer

When I read this article, I was shocked! Because most people assume, vegetarians are healthy people. Actually, when I went through my professional training, I learned this is not true. It was something I realized, very quickly. But it is still something, that many people believe.

This study, was still shocking to me. Vegetarians are at a higher risk, for developing colon cancer? You always hear how meat, red meat consumption in particular, is linked to colon cancer. So how in the world, could vegetarianism, be linked too?


Well, it goes back to that thing called "inflammation." Which is bad, for a number of health issues. A leading cause, for many diseases. In this study, unsaturated omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, seem to be the trigger.

While I was working and going to college, we'd study many things like this. A positive, to going to a university, that focused on agriculture. One that worked closely, with our food consumption, in the United States. And you'd be shocked, by how many studies we'd do, that would find similar things.

Most diseases that we studied, were studied at the cellular level. Meaning that we'd study how the body's cells, reacted to different situations. What made, our cells change? And how did they change? What would happen to a cell, when it was influenced, by an outside trigger. Like diet, food additives, pesticides, disease, inflammation. Most of the time, we were looking for triggers. Because the links, between certain diets and diseases, were already established. We wanted to know, how and why things happened.

In my opinion, a well balanced, healthy diet is still supreme. Eliminating any food group, has risks associated with it. Yes, I practice Meatless Mondays. And try to keep my sugar consumption, relatively low. I just find this study, to be extra shocking.

At the end of the day, it is your right, to eat whatever you'd like. But just don't forget that fiber! Think about keeping most of your plate, packed with colorful fruits and vegetables. But it's still important, to eat protein. This study, is just another example of that. ❤❤❤

No comments:

Post a Comment