Saturday, January 9, 2016

The Gentle Spirit

As tough as this journey has been, we've had some amazing people behind us. People that have just been our safety net. It's like they know exactly when, we need someone at our sides.

My Auntie Bug, has been that person. For both my Mom and I. There is just something, that is gentle, when you talk about her character. She is easy going. Has a way, of talking, that just calms a person. And honestly, there have been many days, when that is what we've needed.

It's crazy, to know that for so long, we had just lost touch with our family. We were just trying to survive. And most days, it was just a success to be home. Getting together with family and friends, seemed so overwhelming. Something we just couldn't figure out, how to do.

But through it all, our family still loved us. And since my Dad's passing, it's this sort of family, that has held us up. On our darkest of days, they are the ones, that get us through it all. The kind words. The prayers. The little outings.

My Auntie Bug, quickly became that person. For both my Mom and I. In different, but very important ways. She was the one person, I could talk to. Openly. About what was going on. She was the one person, my Mom seemed to open up to.


During the summer, when we wanted to do nothing more than lock ourselves up at home, my Auntie would somehow get us out. We'd go on little adventures. Day trips. Shopping trips. Out to eat. Always including, lots of laughter. And plenty of compassion.

It's what we needed. And my Auntie Bug, always seemed to show up, on the days we needed her most. It was like she knew, when our hearts were hurting most. She'd come. And bring that little bit of sunshine, that we needed.

Over the last 10 months, my Auntie Bug has gotten my Mom and I, to go on little trips. Camping and pinon picking. She's been a "sounding board," for my Mom. My Auntie and Uncle, have been the only people, that could get my Mom out and about.

But it didn't start, when my Dad past away. It started before then. When they'd come to visit in the hospital. Bring my Dad a little something. Their visits, would brighten his day. And mine. It was the text messages. And the prayers. The positive thoughts, that they brought with them.

Funny how that works. How the gentlest of spirits, has a way of working in your life. They move you in ways, that you never thought about before. They bring calm, in the middle of a storm. And provide an escape, from the life you are struggling in. They also bring that security, that you are craving most, in your life.

I'm very grateful to my Auntie Bug. And all that she has done for my Mom. And for me. And everything she did for my Dad. In ways that I can't find words for, she gave him hope. And a sense of calm. And of security. That we'd be OK. We'd have family to surround us. And love us. And watch over us.

We are very lucky. To have the family and friends, that we have. We're also very lucky, to have my Auntie Bug. I know, I can call her, at anytime of day. And she's there for me. I know, as tough as it is, she'll love my Mom through this difficult chapter. And I know, we'll never be alone. ❤❤❤

No comments:

Post a Comment