Friday, August 28, 2015

The Ernest T. "Blue" Sena Jr. Memorial Scholarship

Our last BIG Announcement, is the one I'm most proud of. The one, that I've worked hardest, over the last few months, to be able to offer. The Ernest T. "Blue" Sena Jr. Scholarship Fund. For $500. To be awarded, to a 2015-2016 APS graduating Senior.

I've talked about it, here and here. How my Dad's passion, was with the youth of his community. How he, wanted them to succeed. In so many ways, he did his best, to see that happen. Donating buses, money, and time...to these students.

Here's a little background. My Dad, only had an eighth grade education. He left school, to help support his family. Blue was the eldest son, in his family, of thirteen kids. Later in his life, he'd regret not going further in school. But he'd never let that, hold him back.

Blue was passionate about education. I knew that first hand. As his daughter, my first and only priority growing up, was my education. All the other activities, that I was involved in, came second to my education.

My Dad told me many times, he wished he would have finished school. At least 12th grade. But his education, took him far in life. He was a successful business owner, for 45 years. What he didn't know, he'd seek out. He'd ask people. And would learn along the way. In his words, "I learned in the school of hard knocks. I don't want that for you. Or for all these other kids."

Years ago, during my freshman year in college, my Dad and I talked about his legacy. What he wanted to be remembered for. What he wanted to leave behind. 14 years ago, I promised my Dad, that I'd do this for him. I'd put together a scholarship fund, in his name. To benefit his community. And honor his lifetime of service.

Maybe that's the reason, I'm most passionate, about this scholarship. I see how far, my Dad, went in his life. On his eighth grade education. And I can only imagine, how far he could have gone, on a college education.

In my heart, I know his success, was based off of will. Pure will, to do better, in his life. But education, would have also allowed more. And he always knew that fact. It's probably the reason, he pushed me, so far in life.

During my time in school, I had many opportunities to attend private schools. And later, private colleges. But my Dad's community, was central to his life. And he believed, in public education. And I'm so glad he did. I'm a proud graduate of New Mexico schools. I'm very proud to say, that I received my first two degrees, from a New Mexico University.




 
Education is a gift. Truly, I believe this. My Dad, single handed, gave me this gift. He valued education. And taught me, how to value it as well. I'll ALWAYS be grateful, to my Dad, for this. For valuing what I learned, every single day, in school. For making books, such a beautiful gift. For realizing, education was my gateway, to a better life.

It's the one thing in life, that people can't ever take away from me. What I've learned. My academic achievements. Those experiences. I'm so grateful, and thankful, to my Dad...for the education I've received. It will ALWAYS be with me. And I'm so proud, to make my Dad's vision, come to life!

Our scholarship is open to all APS graduating seniors. With a 3.0GPA, 20 hours of community service, and who will be attending a New Mexico University in Fall 2016. I've sent applications out, to the APS High Schools. But if you are in need of one, please feel free to contact me here, via e-mail (LoveForBlue2015@aol.com), or on Facebook. Our deadline is, May 1, 2016.

I'm so honored and proud, about the Ernest T. "Blue" Sena Jr. Memorial Scholarship. And I look forward to reading all the applications. And hopefully, making a positive influence, on someone's life.

Please pass this information along. We'd LOVE to reach as many students as possible. After all, it was Blue's vision, to see all kids have the opportunity, of a college education. No matter their background, their financial situation, or the fact that they attended an APS school. He wanted all the children in Albuquerque, to have the same opportunities. ❤❤❤

No comments:

Post a Comment